If you are applying for a student visa and you are under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place.

You must either:

  • nominate a student guardian. Nominate a parent, legal custodian or relative over 21 years of age as your student guardian. This person must have a visa to stay in Australia for the duration of your student visa or until you turn 18. Furthermore, this appointed guardian must have Working with Children Check, Police Check and apply for approval from the Department of Home Affairs to be the eligible guardian of the student, or
  • arrange a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW). MEGA will issue a CAAW and advise the Department of Home Affairs of your welfare arrangement’s start and end date.

MEGA works with these companies for the provision of guardianship services: